Prepare a Video Presentation Assignment
In an online course, you may have assignments that require you to prepare a pre-recorded online presentation video. These videos may include:
- Narrations or an audio track to share your presentation content verbally
- PowerPoint slides
- Other images
- Other video content
Within Moodle at KPU, you will most often upload these presentations using Kaltura. You may also use Kaltura to create your presentation, or you may wish to use another tool to create your video.
In this module, you will:
- Identify privacy considerations for choosing presentation software
- Identify technical considerations that guide your choice of software
- Select the tools that best meet your needs for an online presentation
- Practice software skills used in creating presentation videos
Creating videos to present your knowledge is an increasingly important skill in a digital world. Learning to use tools to create professional and effective videos will support your success in a variety of future endeavours.
When you create online content, you will want to make thoughtful decisions about how you wish to present yourself. Here are some questions to consider:
- Do I wish to include video of myself presenting, or present with my voice only?
- Does the tool I am using allow me to keep my content on my own personal device, or do I need to upload it to a cloud-based service?
- If the tool requires me to upload my work to the cloud, is this server within Canada, or outside of Canada? Note that KPU will only recommend tools that meet BC privacy guidelines. You may choose to use other tools, but you will want to be aware of any risks.
Here are some technical questions to consider as you choose tools to create your video presentation:
- What devices are easily accessible to me? You can create good quality videos with a laptop, tablet, or smartphone.
- What software am I familiar with? Is there a software solution that I already know well that will meet my needs?
- What digital skills will support me in the future? If I choose to learn a new program, which ones will support my overall professional skills development?
- What tools will allow me to present my content in the way that will best support my content visually?
Options for Creating Video Presentations:
|Tool||Type of Presentation||Devices|
|PowerPoint||Recorded video narration of PowerPoint slides (Note: may be best for shorter presentations, as file sizes can be large)||Laptop/Desktop|
|Kaltura Capture||Recorded video narration of PowerPoint slides with or without video of presenters, recordings made with a webcam||Laptop/ Desktop|
|Microsoft Teams||Recorded video of individual or group presenters with or without video of presenters, recorded narration of a PowerPoint presentation by a group||Laptop, mobile|
|Zoom||Recorded video of individual or group presenters with or without video of presenters, recorded narration of a PowerPoint presentation by an individual or group||Laptop, mobile|
|Mobile video recording||Recorded video of presenters or creation of other visual presentation elements||Mobile device; usually requires editing on mobile or laptop software|
Important Note: Privacy Considerations
Microsoft Teams and Zoom are not currently supported/recommended by KPU, as the current configurations require you to store data outside of Canada. You may choose to use your own personal Teams/Zoom software with understanding of the privacy risks. KPU supported versions of both of these tools will be available to students later in the Fall 2020 semester.